Special volunteer workday--BikeFest rest stop--9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
pedaling at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 7 00:44:09 EDT 2007
This Saturday, Aug. 11, is the Carolina Tarwheels Bicycle Club's annual
BikeFest in Orange County. TRTC volunteers traditionally help out. It's
mutually beneficial. The Tarwheels make enough of a surplus to donate
generously to local non-profits, sometimes including ... TRTC!
For TRTC, this event will take the place of the usual trail work day. If
you can assist for all or part of this time (9 to 1), please send me this
- Your name
- Cell phone number
- TShirt size (each year a Tarwheel does a custom design for the volunteers)
Frank Bennett and I are going to meet at the Rec Center at 7 a.m., load up
our vehicles with supplies, head out around 8:00 and arrive at Walnut Grove
by 8:30. If you'all can join us there at 9:00, then we'll have a good crew
for setting up and running the rest stop.
Here are addresses for the two venues. Unless you're determined to show up
at 7:00, most of you will head directly to Walnut Grove by 9:00.
- Recreation Center, on Hassell St. @ W. Tryon St., 2 blocks west of
downtown Hillsborough (at west end of Library building)
- Walnut Grove United Methodist Church, 7215 Walnut Grove Church Rd.,
"Hurdle Mills" (actually northern Orange Co.)
Driving directions from either I-40 or I-85:
- Head north on Churton St. (NC 86) all the way through Historic Hillsborough.
- After crossing US 70, continue north for 4 more miles on NC 86.
- Bear right at Farm & Garden store onto Walnut Grove Church Rd.
- 5 miles later, as you approach the crest of a hill, see the stone church
building on your right (corner of WGC Rd. and Hawkins Rd.)
Optional items to bring:
Food trays, cutting boards, knives, ice chests, large drink coolers (we
have 4 already), cell phone, hat and sunscreen.
For extra credit, baked cookies or zucchini bread are always appreciated by
the several hundred hungry cyclists (think "hordes of locusts").
At Walnut Grove, we first set up the TRTC canopy, tables and signage. Then
we form two teams--drinks and snacks:
1) fill four coolers with water & ice, and mix powdered gatorade in two of
2) chop bananas, apples, oranges, and set out the cookies/muffins/brownies
The last riders should visit us by around 1 p.m., though the exact time is
hard to predict. Those who can stick around will help us break down the
gear for carting back to Hillsborough and beyond. We'll also need to check
the church's kitchen and restrooms and make sure they're clean enough for
Sunday. Yes, even with a row of Port-A-Johns outside, some riders just
seem to prefer indoor plumbing. Go figure.
Please contact me with any questions. Thanks for helping support both
BikeFest and TRTC.
TRTC board since 1997
Tarwheel since 1987
pedaling at mindspring.com + connelly at duke.edu
More information about the TRTC-volunteers